The National Cyber Security Centre (“NCSC”) has issues new guidance on shopping online securely, and you may wish to share the link with your staff.
As always from the NCSC, the advice is straightforward and their suggestions include:
- Type websites that you trust into the browser address bar, rather than using links in emails or texts which may point to fake sites.
- Use a credit card to get section 75 protection in most cases (more information at https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/everyday-money/credit-and-purchases/how-youre-protected-when-you-pay-by-card).
- Consider an online payment platform such as PayPal, Apple Pay or Google Pay as the retailer doesn’t event see your payment details.
- Carefully consider before you create an account or store payment details.
- Use different passwords for each account and turn on 2FA if available.
The full guide can be downloaded from https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/shopping-online-securely